Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
garykohs
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,596Gear list
Like?
A77ii extremely low light AF focusing test
4 months ago

While taking my a77ii for a walk at a local park I chased a squirrel from the path in front of me into the dense vegetation adjacent to the walk. I knew I couldn't get a decent photo but I wondered if the A77ii would AF in near complete darkness.

How dark was it? Well, I couldn't distinguish the squirrel from the vegetation with my eyes. It was all nearly black. But I could make out the squirrel through the EVF - shooting in auto ISO mode with upper level set at 12,800. So I took a few shots.

Please understand that ISO 12,800 creates daylight where only darkness appears to the naked eye. This was really near total blackness! And despite the high ISO these pictures are "underexposed" in the sense that the camera couldn't choose the higher ISO or slower shutter it would have chosen. The scene in the pictures below are wayyyyyyy brighter than what it appeared with the naked eye.

It would have been nice to have the AF focus assist lamp from the A77. But given that the A77ii can focus in a situation like this without the lamp, I'll take the cheaper price instead.

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow