Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SouthElginDad
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
(Possibly dumb) idea for cheap off camera pseudo-TTL flash with RX10
3 months ago

So I've been loving my RX10 (and RX100-1!), but I do miss the ability to trigger an off camera flash using the built in pop-up.

Then I recalled a Mark Wallace video about using a flash's own internal light meter to set flash output.  The video is here.   Basically the flash itself has a sensor on it that measures reflected light, and outputs only enough light until it thinks the exposure is right.  Kind of like a precursor to TTL.

So my thought was that since the RX10 has a standard shoe mount, I could grab a cheapo radio trigger, and some cheap flashes that have this sensor system, and, viola, I'll have a poor man's wireless TTL.

The only problem is that I was looking on Amazon, and it's hard to tell which flashes have this feature.  I'm not sure what it's called, so I can't search for it specifically.  Just going off the pictures of the, say, Yongnuo flashes, it doesn't look like they have this sensor.

Any thoughts?

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow