Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Microshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,106Gear list
Like?
Nikon 1 Complete Guide.. Printed or Downloadable
5 months ago

For those who may be interested in understanding the operations and technical capability of the Nikon 1 cameras, I just ordered, received and recommend Thom Hogan's printed version of his Nikon 1 Complete Guide to the Nikon 1 book. He also has an electronic version.

It's on sale for $10 plus postage and was published in 2012 ...so it is a bit dated.... but IMO does a VERY good job explaining the Nikon 1 camera operations and functions. It explains the VR operation and 510 pages of what I consider very usefull info if you want to understand more about your V, J or AW series Nikon.

The book is specific to the V1 and J1 but is also VERY applicable to the entire Nikon 1 system. Too many things to mention obviously, but things like battery drain, VR, shooting modes, ISO comparisons, camera operations, lenses, noise reduction, JPEG vs RAW on the N1, what actually happens with sharpness, how each setting works and what it does...etc, etc.

If anyone wants to read up or reference how to use/optimize your Nikon 1, I think it's well worth the total cost shipped of about $17. It's about 1" thick and well written IMO. For those just purchasing a V1 it's perfect.... and for those of us with a V2/3 it's very very applicable.

And no...I don't get commissions on any sales...just sharing my opinion. This book is not just a rehash of the Nikon owners annual.... that tells me almost nothing 😀.
--
Dan
"My most rewarding shots are things I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder."
Currently shoot with Nikon D800 & V2

Microshooter's gear list:Microshooter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +15 more
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow