Film Photography: How any could masrer film and darkroom work?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,951Gear list
Like?
Re: my teaching frustration
In reply to bford, 3 months ago

bford wrote:

Gato Amarillo wrote:

I was teaching photography at a university back in the film days. One of the great frustration for me and my fellow teachers was the number of visually talented students who could not master the mechanics of photography. That and the number of talented photographers who gave it up after they no longer had access to a college darkroom.

a shame since it was so easy to set up your own darkroom, even without the dedicated room. My first darkroom was in my bathroom and to save space my prints were developed in Cibachrome tubes on a rotary base. It took only a few minutes to set it up and put everything away.

In that sense I'm very pleased to see photography reach a point where almost anyone can express themselves.

yep.

Of course this is bad news for the old-timers who got by on technical facility. Very tough for those who made their living by this path, but on the whole good for photography, I think.

definitely, although I would like to see ink jets disappear though. The printer industry chose the wrong technology. They should have went with dye sub for continuous tone, better detail, and no clogged ink heads, among other reasons. A real shame since that forces me and many other people to continue to rely on labs for prints.

A little homework would bave shown you that current inkjet tech offers higher resolution the dye sub.

Gato

-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow