ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MHT
MHT
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
A77II DOF Focusing Aids?
2 months ago

Shooting the mountain wildflowers with my new A77ii was a bit frustrating today. Focus peaking and magnification are both great focusing aids but, as far as I can tell are of limited use when it comes to DOF focusing. In other words, maybe with the flowers in the foreground I want to keep the predominant background mountain peak in sharp focus or maybe blur it a bit. The FP actually does work if you push the DOF button and manually adjust the focus (although still a bit of a crap shoot) but the focus magnification feature goes away as soon as you hit the DOF switch. I was generally able to adjust the focus, maximizing the peaking outline on the near and far objects I wanted to keep sharp but only by holding the DOF button. The button placement works pretty well for hand held shots but there were times with the tripod almost flat on the ground where it was very awkward to keep that DOF button pressed while focusing. I'll probably assign it to the C button. I guess I wish the DOF switch was optionally a toggle.

Then, if there's any doubt, I have to magnify the captured image to check the focus. Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't.

Anyone have a better, more efficient approach to selective focusing?

Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow