Buying the DA 18-135? @135mm it could be better, but could also be worse.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
kenwklau
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
Re: To be honest...
In reply to citrontokyo, 2 months ago

Leandros S wrote:

To be honest, considering the K-5's fairly strong AA filter, this looks like it's at the limit of the resolution for that camera. Maybe a 100% crop would tell more, but I don't see a reason here to criticise the lens.

-- hide signature --

No amount of perceived entitlement can replace actual expertise.

Yeah, I don't know if it's the sensor or the lens. When you look at it 1:1, it's sharper than I'd expect for this lens at 135mm, but it's definitely lacking the detail that my FA100 macro would give. I know that's being overly critical, and I should have taken a photo at 100mm just to get an idea.

Still, I'm very pleased with the output of this semi-mega zoom. I don't shoot brick walls, and it's something I can take with me anywhere (this was an on-and-off rainy day) so I can't really complain. I shoot RAW and convert in-camera to JPEG using all of the software corrections, and it seems decent.

Well worth the 500$ I paid roughly 2 1/2 years ago.

Fuji has a new 18-135WR lens selling for U$900, making this Pentax lens much better value. I have no complaint about my copy.
--
Regards,
Ken

kenwklau's gear list:kenwklau's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Canon PowerShot G15 Pentax K-30 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow