How quiet is the 16-50 zoom really supposed to be?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sdh
sdh
Regular MemberPosts: 174
Like?
How quiet is the 16-50 zoom really supposed to be?
5 months ago

I just picked up a Sony 16-50 from a cheap vendor on Amazon (Electronics Basket), for my NEX 5R.

I've never handled this lens before, but I have doubts about my copy.  I was expecting the zoom to be exceptionally smooth and quiet, since it's touted as a video-friendly lens.  But my copy is (IMO) hardly quiet. Zooming quickly via the ring, the only word I can think of to describe its sound is "gritty".  It feels smooth to my hand but the motor noises are... gritty.  It's a lot quieter and smooth sounding when zooming via the rocker switch; it basically sounds like typical electric motor whine. But the camera still picks up the noise recording video. (Albeit, in a quiet room.  I imagine you'd not hear it in a video shot on a noisy street corner.)

Anyway, how quite is this lens actually supposed to be?  Does what I describe sound normal or not? If not, then Im definitely returning this lens.

But if it is normal, then I need to decide whether I'm annoyed enough by something else: The fact that it was shipped without a rear cap and I think I see a smudge from the bubblewrap on the rear lens element.

I know, you get what you pay for (and sometimes less). $160 was a lot less than the $350 this lens retails for, which I think is inflated.  But I do believe it will be far more useful, for how Im looking to shoot, than the 16mm & 20mm pancakes combined.

I appreciate any thoughts on what I said about my current lens' noises!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow