If I Have the PL 25, Do I Really Need the Oly 45?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jennnifer
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
If I Have the PL 25, Do I Really Need the Oly 45?
5 months ago

I was hoping to get some expert advice. I have the Rokinon 7.5, Oly 9-18, and PL 25 for my E-M5. Wanting to get something longer, I ordered the Oly 45, but now I'm wondering if I have the PL 25, if I really need the 45, if my goal is to have a more dynamic kit. I'm still very much a novice at all this. So although I understand the implications of the length difference (at least I'm pretty sure I do), I can't really conceptualize what the 45 will do for me that the 25 doesn't pretty much already do. Would I be better off going longer, if I'm really looking to add more variety to what I have?

I found this November 2011 thread comparing the two lenses. One poster wrote, "Giving up reach for speed depends entirely upon your shooting style and immediate subject. I admit that the 2/3 stop that the Leica gives me is nice some times, but when I need the 45mm, I just mount it and forget the 2/3 stop difference," which certainly seems informative. However, I am not able to identify what those "some times" are that would make someone "need the 45mm" instead of the 25, short of a pure focal length issue, which I feel like I would be able to make up for most of the time with my feet. But perhaps I'm wrong about this?

What made me start rethinking my purchase are some pictures that I came across from a trip to Paris in March. I like the bokeh from the 25 and started questioning whether I had made a smart purchase. Given that I don't really have a "style" yet, I can't really let that guide me. So I was hoping maybe some of you could help.

Thanks.

Jennifer

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow