Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ZX11
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?
Re: Bureaucracy
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 2 months ago

Erik Magnuson wrote:

David Pavlich wrote:

It's been a LONG time since I was in high school and maybe the schools don't do this sort of thing anymore. I would hope so....it's a good learning experience.

I'm sure they can do fundraisers. But I think you forget about bureaucracy: a teacher (or even a principal) often can't just hire anyone on a whim. They might have to get competitive bids from a list of preferred vendors. Imagine the paper work and the approvals that would be needed. In my school back in my day (late 70's) , the contract with the studio that did the student shots was exclusive - you couldn't pay anyone else to do this as a "school photo" for the yearbook.

The problem is that the person on the pointy end of the problem (the teacher and/or the students) has the least control when money enters the picture. Some schools use booster clubs (or the PTA) to bypass the funding rules -- although that would not solve the exclusive contract issue.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Good point about red tape to hire people.  We don't mean to kill the messenger.  I can see how the teacher would have little control.  Using a volunteer must have worked in the past.  Otherwise, the leadership wouldn't be tasking a teacher to find one this year.

Still find it hard to believe there isn't a kid running around the school with the school's camera.  Spending time between classes taking yearbook shots.  Did they get rid of journalism classes and clubs?

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."

ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EOS 700D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow