Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Osvaldo Cristo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,355Gear list
Like?
How much pixels is needed?
4 months ago

This week I had the pleasure to see eighteen of my shots printed on high quality paper using a brand new B2 lithographic press. Each photo was full sheet size, 52 cm by 74 cm. They were made with my Nikon D200 or D300S and needed some care at post-processing controlling noise and sharpness – it took around five minutes each including (raw) developing.

The results were great when viewed at full size!

From my own experience, it looks an image with something at 10-15Mpixels is enough to be printed at any size if that print out will be viewed at full size and perceived as an high quality image. Of course, it does not apply if that image can be “examined” for its parts by close look.

The key factor is the distance you need to stay in order to see the full image: for a small print size, it will be 25-30 cm but for a B2 print, something around 50-70 cm. For a billboard, several meters.

I was wondering about your experience: how much pixels are needed for an image to be perceived as high quality when looked at full size?

Thanks in advance to share your experience.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Nikon D200 Nikon D300S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow