Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mgatov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,018Gear list
Like?
My experiences with the D810
2 months ago

I've been testing it out for the past few days, and will give it a bigger work-out this weekend.  I had been using the Sony NEX-7 for the past couple of years but wanted something with a bit more flexibility.  The only FF camera I owned before the D810 is the Sony RX1, which I still have and probably won't ever get rid of.

I'm only going to use prime lenses with the D810, as I will mostly use it when the end result is what is most important to me.  For the other times, a 1" sensor works just fine for my needs.  I currently have the 50mm f1.8 and the 28mm f1.8.  A little later I'll add the 85mm f1.8.

So far, I'm amazed at what the camera can do.  The images have a clarity to them that I'm not accustomed to.  But, at the same time, there is almost a sterility to them as well.  I can't quite explain it, but the RX1 seems to have a soulful nature to the images, whereas the D810 speaks of sharp clarity.

This is also a camera that demands you know what you are doing.  It has a learning curve to it.  It seems the options are endless and it requires you to dig into its capabilities to do it justice.

This is actually the first camera I've had in decades where I cannot think of what else would be needed.  The last time that happened was with the Contax RTSIII.  The files are capable of creative manipulation, the capabilities of the body gives me room to expand my skills, and the wealth of available lenses means there isn't much it can't do.

I'm older than dirt and am most comfortable with Aperture priority and matrix metering. Having HDR, bracketing capabilities for exposure and flash, as well as predictive autofocus seems like I'm going to have my plate full learning how to properly use these features.

mgatov's gear list:mgatov's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D810 AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow