The best $500 light zoom lens for 100D/SL1 ...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hobo
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?
The best $500 light zoom lens for 100D/SL1 ...
2 months ago

Started the same thread in the Canon SLR Lens forum ... Just hope someone knows the answer!

-- hide signature --

I have zero Canon (D)SLR experience being with Olympus since 90s, but was really impressed recently busy playing with 100D/SL1 while waiting for my Oly OM-D E-M5 from repairement - the display suddenly said I am dead and the camera became competely useless. The replacement will take a couple of weeks and I have started to think about buying a 100D/SL1 as a backup camera and short travel alternative. A very light and still very capable Rebel seems like a very smart idea - thanks to Canon for creativity!

The (stupid) question is: does it make any real sense to buy the body AND Sigma 17-70 or Canon 18-135 STM instead of the kit lenses (18-55 STM) or even double kit lenses ( + 40 F/2.8 STM)?

My concern is that 18-135 STM is not bad, but heavier than the 100D body, nearly the same for 17-70. This leads to another strange idea of buying 650D instead of 100D in order to get the right balance. The image quality will be probably the same, and the weight difference is about 170g. From the other hand, it was easy to fill the difference when I was playing with 100D & kit lenses and 650D & 18-135 STM.

Any experience for the above? Am I missing something?

Other good quality light zoom options in the same price category?

Thanks in advance!

hobo's gear list:hobo's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Sony SLT-A58 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +6 more
Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1) Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow