If I view RAWS and 16-bit HDRs on a 4k or wide-gamut monitor, will they look "normal"?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CreeDo
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?
If I view RAWS and 16-bit HDRs on a 4k or wide-gamut monitor, will they look "normal"?
3 months ago

I notice that right after merging HDR images in Photomatix or Photoshop (before tonemapping) and making my HDR image... or whenever I deal with a RAW or 16 bit TIFF... the image looks a bit washed out and gray and low-contrast.

From what I understand, this is because the 8-bit monitor is incapable of displaying the full range of color available in the file.

If I get a 4K or wide gamut monitor, will these images look more 'normal' (contrasty, vivid, whatever?)

Which of the 2 should I get, 4k or wide gamut?

I've read warnings that wide-gamut displays will actually make websites and normal images look weird / worse because those were calibrated for a typical display, and I've heard complaints ranging from "Everything looks washed out" to "Everything looks oversaturated".

Is getting this kind of display something that will make me go WOW and fill me with joy? Or will I end up saying "man, I should have held on to the regular monitor"?

CreeDo's gear list:CreeDo's gear list
Canon EOS 1200D Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow