Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cberry
Contributing MemberPosts: 808Gear list
Like?
Low light modes for Canon
5 months ago

I still have and use my G12 extensively - and the one thing I like best about it is the low-light performance in low-light mode.

Basically, it reduces the resolution by producing 1 pixel out of every 4 so I end up with a nicely saturated smaller shot taken at 1/4 of the shutter speed.

Chasing kids around, this is most useful - a 1/100s shot that would be blurry or grainy suddenly becomes a 1/400s crisp and punchy.

Interestingly, the minimum ISO jumps from ISO 80 to ISO 320 in this mode - and saturation is very similar - 2 stops of more usefulness.

I know that it's going to be easier with larger sensors and bigger lenses but there's always a case when there's not enough light to do what you want. 7.5x the sensor area is 3 stops better - with a 50mm f/1.8 this works out to 4 stops.

Still, if with that combo, I can have the same feature on a 50D, 60D Canon, giving me more versatility - I'd take that feature above most others.

Is/was there a dslr with this feature in the Canon line-up? I'd take a good 4MP image over a blurry 15.1MP one any day.

cb

cberry's gear list:cberry's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow