Film Photography: How any could masrer film and darkroom work?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 17,994Gear list
Like?
Not many.......
In reply to star shooter, 5 months ago

star shooter wrote:

While it's sad to see the demise of film, chemicals and darkroom work, I wonder how many could master film as good as they do now with digital. Not many I reckon.

that is why there were not that many professional photographers in that era.

Digital has in many ways, allowed many more to ge into the art but it has also made us lazy too, in the way we expect an instant picture and if we don't like we take another.

But let's roll back to a time when you had no idea if the image was good until the film was developed and fix then inspected under the enlarger. Back then those who could take on a job and produce results and when a prof. photog. was in great demand, are all gone.

In high school I used to make $$ by taking team photo's and sports photo's and sold them to my team mates.  I think I charged $5.00 for an 8" x 10" team photo and $2.00 for a 5" x 7" action shot.  I had a Pentax ME with a 40mm and a 135mm lens.  In a year I probably sold 100 team photo's and maybe two dozen action shots.  It was a lot of work and not much $$.

In a world that expects instant results, digital photography has unfortunately, created a race of mind-sets that after a few takes, they go about calling themselves 'prof. photographers' How pathetic.

It was a ton of work and hours spent in the dark room.  Really, it wasn't worth it.

Look how the wedding photog. industry has suffered from el cheapo digital shutterbugs.

My daughter is one of them.  It was frightening to see how quickly she advanced by using a live view camera and a few old rangefinder lenses.

More and more of the profession is being lost to those who think because they have a wiz bang setup, they're God's gift to the art. How pathetic.

The barrier to entry is much lower but ultimately the artistic eye still separates the professionals form everyone else.  That and actually showing up on time, getting the job done and anticipating problems.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow