Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,777
Like?
Capturing Ghosts - E-M5 in Auschwitz I-II
5 months ago

A word of caution.  Images contained in this post and in the gallery may be disturbing to some, especially those related to victims.  Visiting these sites can be a trauma or a catharsis.

Travel can be fun and relaxation. Travel can be sobering education.

We took a trip in history early July, through Germany (the former east), visiting Weimar (pre WW2) and Dresden (end of WW2) to Krakow and Wroclaw in Poland.

Krakow is once again restored to its former, pre-war and pre-communist splendour. You can still visit Schindler's factory there (now a very evocative museum).

And all of that is just a prelude for a visit to Auschwitz and Birkenau, where the horror is still tangible, in broad strokes and in details.

We visited both camps (the first a neat arrangement of drab buildings; the second enormous, windswept and barren) early in the morning, before the arrival of coaches full of visitors.

Empty and silent, the place is quickly filled with ghosts and stories of suffering and courage.

I made a modest attempt to capture some of it. Cliché is hard to avoid, but I tried.

Gallery here: http://roelh.zenfolio.com/p1026987293

All with E-M5, most with 12-40mm F2.8 lens.

Some samples (but go to the gallery for many more and much bigger sizes + slideshow):

Entrance

Appell-Platz

Undressing prior to entering the yard between Blocks 10 & 11

Cells

Through the gate at Birkenau

Of dozens of wooden barracks, only the brick stoves and chimneys remain

Remains of the voyage to nowhere

Silent memorial

A final look back

Comments welcome.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
InfoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow