Film Photography: How any could masrer film and darkroom work?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
bford
Senior MemberPosts: 1,489
Like?
Re: Film Photography: How any could masrer film and darkroom work?
In reply to Mark Smith, 2 months ago

Mark Smith wrote:

Joe Pineapples wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

[snip]

Professional photographers used to take hundreds of shots in the hope that a handful met their brief.

[snip]

That is quite wrong in general.

I used to work with a guy who started a cadetship with the photography bureau of a newspaper, and he would be sent out with a 5x4 press camera and a single film holder to cover some event with the reassuring words "Don't forget you've got a second sheet of film in the other side if you stuff-up the first shot."

The mainstays of quality wedding photography were the Hasselblad and the Mamiya RB67. Try taking "hundreds of shots" for some of the key scenes in a wedding with those fellas!

J.

+++

This was my experience too, I used a Hasselblad and Rolleiflex for nearly all weddings. Often you would be given a limited amount of rolls, most weddings were 3-5 rolls so you'd be given a spare roll in a box with a customer release sheet that they'd sign for extras.

Portraits and commercial were similar, depending on the package.

I can remember taking 4x5 shots of a large country house for an estate agent, the house was valued in the millions, I did it in 3 darkslides (6 shots)

I never shot hundreds just to get 1-2 Ok if I did that I'd have been unemployed quite soon...

I'm guessing the person up top was referring to photographers shooting 35mm. There is truth to that in that case.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow