Film Photography: How any could masrer film and darkroom work?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,154Gear list
Like?
Re: I think you had to be 13
In reply to Toccata47, 5 months ago

I know Polaroid was very popular in the US but for some reason it never reached the similar use here in Europe. I think it was romoured to give bad quality and the film was rather expensive. Although I now know photographers like Robert Mapplethorpe used it (I discovered that to my astonishment when I read Patti Smith's book "Just kids"). In Europe more ambitious amateurs preferred slides while negative film was most popular for ordinary family and travel snapshots. There were lots of labs based on delivery by mail that obtained fast service to a very low price (and sometimes duobious quality). Best printing quality outside pro labs was obtained from the one-hour labs that were common at least in bigger cities, to a somewhat higher price.

Developing b/w film is not very compicated but mastering an enlarger and making prints is an art you never reach full skills in as an amateur. Not talking about colour prints! I know, been there, done that!

For me who is grown up on film it's easy to think of jpg direct out of camera as slides and raw and using LR as darkroom work.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow