Does Olympus IBIS take into account distance to subject?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
biggles266
Regular MemberPosts: 234Gear list
Like?
Does Olympus IBIS take into account distance to subject?
2 months ago

Hello, I was using today my E-P5 with 40-150mm with a 2X close-up lens. I could see the IBIS was kicking in, but it seemed to struggle to really stabilize the image well. That made me think that even though the camera knows what focal length the lens is at, my close-up lens has tricked it into actually being a different kind of focal length in practice. I wondered if I overrode the focal length manually (not sure I can even do that for a native lens), to make it seem like a longer lens, it might correct the movement better. Since a close up lens is working at close distances, small movements are exaggerated just like a very long lens, so perhaps telling the camera I had an extra long lens on would be better.

Then I wondered about the situation of not even using a close up lens, but having on a lens like the 60mm macro (I wish I owned it). The camera knows it is 60mm, but when focusing with it on very close objects like macro, again movements are exaggerated like you would see in a long telephoto. Does the IBIS work harder at keeping the image still when it knows how close the 60mm lens is focusing? Does it take distance to subject into account?

Or does none of this matter, because IBIS couldn't care what lens or diopter you have on, it just tries to keep the image centered and stable, so if it sees more movement it will naturally kick in more, whatever the cause? But if that was the case, why does Olympus IBIS need the focal length of manual lenses to be input by the user, and why does it make a difference? If it works it out automagically, then that manual input wouldn't be needed.

Thoughts?

biggles266's gear list:biggles266's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS M Olympus PEN E-P5 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Olympus PEN E-P5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow