ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hybert46
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?
ultimate print size vs image resolution
4 months ago

Hi everyone,

I have a very theoretical question that does not make much sense on a practical point of view but I am still interested in knowing the relation between image resolution and ultimate print size.

We have a few fantastic lenses in the m43 system and when coupled to a camera, resolution of 2000 Lines width per image height are achievable (also equivalent to 1000 line pairs / image height).

Now modern laser printer can typically achieve resolutions of 600-2400 dpi. If each dots from the printer would be directly related to 1 line width of the digital image, the final printed image would be ridiculously small with only a total height of 2000 lines /2400 dpi = 0.83 inches.

Now in real life, the printer probably needs several dots for each line of resolution of the digital image. At which final size is the print resolution not limited by the printer anymore but by the digital image (and the printer then has to "extrapolate" the digital image)?

I am not sure my question here is very clear but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simon

-- hide signature --

Simon
Flickr favorites: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjkypfZu
E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 9-18mm, 12mm, 20mm, 45mm

hybert46's gear list:hybert46's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow