Film Photography: How any could masrer film and darkroom work?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157Gear list
Like?
Re: Film Photography: How any could masrer film and darkroom work?
In reply to star shooter, 5 months ago

Film was fun but I can't say I miss it. I started 12 years old with 6x9 and made direct prints myself in the bathroom. Then 24x36 and enlarging with Focomat enlargers in labs I had access to via the university photo club and later at the architectural school where I tuted a little. After that period I abandobed b/w and shot mostly slides. It took a week to get a Kodachrome back via mail. With Echtacrome a lab could make it the same day. I used slides at job presentations but mostly for myself, friends and family. Later I, and my family and friends were bored of the endless slide shows and I shot negative colour film. I could get prints in three days via mail or in one hour at instant print labs. For younger readers, this was how it was.

Film was expensive and developing and printing as well in the long run so you had to economise.You didn't shoot if you wasn't sure to get s good picture. From a roll of 36 frames I normally took away around five, maybe up to ten sometimes that were badly exposed or totally uninteresting. That's a quite acceptable keeper rate, don't you think?

Today, with digital, you just shoot and hopefully you get a ten percent keeper rate. Or less. Well, I'm exaggerating a little. I still try to get good plctures. But I can afford the luxury to try different exposures and angles and keep the one which appears to be best. Which ends up in say a 20-25% keeper rate.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow