Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OliverGlass
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
My X-T1 thoughts (with photos)
5 months ago

Hi just a regular forum reader and poster here. 6 months of researching various mirrorless systems like the Sony NEX, A7 series, Fuji, and the m4/3 family, I pulled the trigger on an X-T1 a month ago. My Nikon D90 is often left at home now or just used for event documentation with clients. Just contributing my non expert shooting experience with the X-T1 and shooting situations in available light.

Over month of shooting with the Fuji, I found:

+ coming from a DSLR, the weight is liberating. I bring it with me everyday.
+ controls are a joy to use. I love the manual focusing aids using adapted glass too!
+ ohhhhh the Electronic View Finder (yes that's a moan of pleasure)
+ rich JPEGs! There's a pop to it that isn't too color channel aggressive
+ I almost don't need to sharpen the file in post. If I must, I only add 30 to 40 percent compared to how I process my Nikon files
+ Auto White Balance can be trusted most of the time
+ standard provia is good for most subjects except landscape
+ sharp jpegs SOOC compared to cams I used with a low pass filter
+ the noise at ISO 1600, 2000, 3200 is very little and detail doesn't suffer much
+ the kit lens is a cut and a half above most kit glass.
+ AF speed is satisfying! Not yet DSLR level in low light but sooo close and very usable

- I need to use a separate RAW converter for windows (Capture One)

The size, dimensions, and weight provides a spike to shooting activity. 5 inch phone here for scale...

With a camera this small, light, and capable, I rediscovered something that I only got to enjoy with enthusiast P&S--- stealth.

Concocting Alchemy

Griller at Sunday Market

I almost sold my Nikon system but found that I can still use my lenses using adapters. It has helped me hold off for now on making a 56mm purchase. I will have that glass someday.

Using the 50mm for casual and half serious portraits. By the way, I like the skin most of the time. Most of these shots were shot at an ISO of 1600 and F2 at 1/125

Summer

Camille

Barista

Manual Focusing is a joy even with detail shots. I usually press the focus peaking button while using the EVF. The EVF is so good that I can confidently use the lowest f-stop, focus peak, and focus before pressing the shutter.

Clarity | f1.8

Tully's | f2.8

Theo & Philo | F2

That's it for now. Thank you very much for reading. I'm hoping to get active again shooting landscapes. Hopefully, I could update this post in the coming weeks with the Fuji 14mm. The lens has been with me for 3 weeks and I have only shot with it on 2 occassions.

Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D90 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow