Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ken Seals
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?
D810 sound levels vs D800 and D700
5 months ago

I have a sound meter app on my iPhone and decided to test the shutter sound levels of my D810 vs the D700 and D800 today. I am not concerned with the actual db level readout since I have no way to check the calibration of the app. I was interested in the sound level differences. Here they are, measured right at the lens release button on the cameras front:

D700 - 100 db

D800 - 100 db

D810 -  98 db

Decibels are on a logarithmic scale, a 10 db difference is ten times louder or softer. 3 db is twice as loud our soft. The perception of a 2 db difference would be that the d810 is about half as loud as the D800 and D700. That agrees with my ear. The D700 and D800 have always sounds like clanking to me but the D800 is more like a soft swish.

Before you ask, the tests were conducted identically and confirmed with 3 repetitions for each camera.

The lower, sweeter sound level to me is a great improvement. So is the quiet shutter mode.

Ken

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken
Mizzou PJ '66

Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D810
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow