Wait for D400 or go with D610 + D300 combo?

Started Jul 25, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
VadymA Contributing Member • Posts: 894
Wait for D400 or go with D610 + D300 combo?

Honestly, the more I read about D610 the more I like it and the idea of replacing my D300 with the latest and greatest DX body is gradually fading away. It seems that having FX/DX combo for only $300-$400 more is a much better deal than having only one DX body (assuming I decided to sell my D300) or a DX/DX combo. All my lenses are FX except UWA so the transition should be almost painless financially. And later I can replace D300 with the next version of D7xxx which will probably have better buffer than today's version.

I assume the new D400 should come with following advantages over D610:

• Higher FPS, probably 8+ at least
  • More focus points, 51+
  • Faster AF
  • More buttons and controls
  • Higher shutter speed and some other things that I don't really use as a hobbyist

The D610 should still be able to "beat" D400 at:

• Low light / High ISO performance (assuming both cameras use same generation sensors)
  • Better bokeh at the same apertures for better subject isolation
  • Anything else?

I am waiting until Photokina and then decide. If there is no D400, the decision is easy - D610.

However, if D400 is released as the most capable action/sport/adventure DX camera - would it be a better alternative to a D610/D300 combo? I am shooting primarily my family and kids events including portraits, kids sports indoor and outdoor, parties, and occasional nature and macro just for fun. I am leaning toward the D610/D300 and just curious if you have any opinion on this that might be worth considering before pulling the plug.

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +2 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D40 Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow