Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rumi Siddiqui
Regular MemberPosts: 201Gear list
Like?
D810 & Handheld Shooting First Impression
5 months ago

I'm loving this camera. Honestly, this is what the D800E, should have been in the fist place; but I'm quite happy with the D810.

The reduced shutter vibration alone was worth it. I have been shooting with the Zeiss 135mm APO handheld, with a minimum shutter speed of 1/160th, with virtually pinsharp images, even for the pixel peeper at a 1:1 ratio. This may not be a big deal to some of you, but in my experience with the D800E, I would've needed a shutter speed of double the focal length.

You still need to have good hand holding technique, but I feel the results are better with this camera.

Also, when manually focusing with the Zeiss, I never needed to consult live view with zoom to achieve sharp focus. Focusing to my eye using the OVF, I'm nailing it most of the time; other times the focus assist is accurate. It could also be that 135mm is such a long focal length, that focus is just easier in general.

Is there some psychological component influencing my observations... perhaps. But from my experience so far, I'm getting better results in "nailing the shot" and the Zeiss 135mm APO & Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art are paired wonderfully with my D810.

My only issue now is waiting for a decent RAW editor. CaptureNX-D is painful to use, and Adobe's beta is producing some shi* files. My hands are tied until then.

UPDATE: I should also add, I have been photographing relatively still subjects, as well as my 3 year old son. I will likely use a tripod for landscape shots.

Rumi Siddiqui's gear list:Rumi Siddiqui's gear list
Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +10 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow