Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
garykohs
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,658Gear list
Like?
A77ii vs A99 - When to use each?
5 months ago

The A77ii is a bit of a game changer for me in that I can now use it in places where only the A99 would have given be acceptable results before. Here are a few examples.

ISO 12,800:

ISO 6400 and about 50% crop:

Both these squirrel pics may have been better with the A99. I shot this in landscape, thus requiring the crop. But both these were at about 330mm so the A99 at 400mm would be better, right?

ISO 3200:

So the question to those of you who have both cameras is when do you think the A99 is the better choice and when do you think the A77ii is the better choice?

Some situations are pretty easy. For example, I've taken one flash picture with my A77ii and that's just to make sure the pop up flash works. I can't imagine when I'd use the A77ii over the A99 in any situation where I could improve the shot with flash. Am I missing something?

Anyway, I'd just like to know what others think. And perhaps that will also be instructive for those who are considering the purchase of these cameras.

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 +13 more
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow