Film Photography: How any could masrer film and darkroom work?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,802
Like?
Re: Film Photography: How any could masrer film and darkroom work?
In reply to star shooter, 3 months ago

star shooter wrote:

While it's sad to see the demise of film, chemicals and darkroom work, I wonder how many could master film as good as they do now with digital. Not many I reckon.

Maybe, maybe not, but it really doesn't matter.

But let's roll back to a time when you had no idea if the image was good until the film was developed and fix then inspected under the enlarger. Back then those who could take on a job and produce results and when a prof. photog. was in great demand, are all gone.

How are they all gone ?  You had pros before; you have pros now.  You had hacks before; you have hacks now.  I see no shortage of competent professional photographers out there.  OTOH, I attended a wedding back in the 90's where a weekend warrior shot with a midrange Nikon camera, consumer grade lens, Kodak Gold film that he dropped off at a local 1-hour processing lab and got back several hundred seriously underexposed negatives because his flash wasn't working right.  The poor bride put together an album made primarily of pictures I took while I was there.  Point is: amateurs posing as pros have always been part of the business.

In a world that expects instant results, digital photography has unfortunately, created a race of mind-sets that after a few takes, they go about calling themselves 'prof. photographers' How pathetic.

If you say so.  I don't see anything different about the situation today versus yesterday, and I certainly don't see a "race" of such mindsets.

Look how the wedding photog. industry has suffered from el cheapo digital shutterbugs. More and more of the profession is being lost to those who think because they have a wiz bang setup, they're God's gift to the art. How pathetic.

Again, if you say so.  I don't have any great industry insights, but I think there are plenty of competent pros out there today, just as there were pre-digital.

The flipside of this coin is that there are plenty of consumers who think that anyone with a camera should be able to take perfectly adequate pictures, and therefore demand services for unreasonable rates ... these people create demand for hacks who are willing to work cheap.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow