A6000 multiple face detection... choose one?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465
Like?
A6000 multiple face detection... choose one?
2 months ago

So... even though I've used many Sony cameras and many NEX cameras with face detection before, I have never actually used this feature. Normally I just leave it off.

However, after watching the Gary Fong, "Unleashing the power" video for the A6000, I thought I'd start turning on these automated features like he suggests, to see what happens. One of these features is the face detection feature, which works reasonably well... but can also be a bit frustrating to use. Which leads me to my question (because, perhaps I am not using it correctly or completely):

If face detection detects multiple faces (multiple face detection boxes on screen), how can I select the one that I want? It's frustrating to have it recognize the face that I want (as well as one that I do not want), and then go green (focus on) the one that I do not want.

Is there a temporary way to cancel face detection? Say for example I half press the shutter but the camera is prioritizing a face, is there a way for me to tell the camera at this point to cancel out of face detection just for this shot, without having to disable (and then later have to remember to re-enable) face detection.

The eye auto focus thing is pretty hit or miss for me as well... sometimes it seems to work... sometimes not, without any clear indication that it is even trying (I often double check to make sure I haven't reassigned the button). Seems like something that would be nice to have the option to leave on as a sub option of face detection rather than an additional button to have to press along with everything else. Especially with the lack of positive feedback for user input (regardless of whether lock is achieved or not). Seems fiddly.

-k-

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow