best diffuser for canon 430ex ii

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,817Gear list
Like?
Re: A few inexpensive solutions...
In reply to daddyo, 5 months ago

daddyo wrote:

First, no flash diffuser is optimum for all shooting situations -- in some instances bounce is effective and in some instances it is not. I personally use several depending on the shooting environment and situation.

You are absolutely right. My quibble with people like Gary Fong is that they try to sell their devices as a cure all.

Second, I fully agree with Sailor Blue that 360 degree diffusers such and Gary Fong Lightsphere, etc. are a waste of flash power in most situations -- unless you actually want to bounce light off your forehead, ceiling, walls, nearby people, etc.

I made my own "LightSphere" pseudo bare bulb type diffuser from an empty milk bottle. I like to place it behind a subject and use it as a combined hair/accent/background light. Cost = $0.00.

One option I use quite a bit in situations where neutral walls allow bounce is Peter Gregg's 'Better Bounce Card' -- I actually made my own based on his video. However, he sells a very nicely finished version in different sizes. His design bounces light in a two directional manner, rather than omni-directional. I find it produces very decent quality light from and on-camera/bracket flash.

YouTube - A Better Bounce Card for your camera - Peter Gregg

DIY Reflector-Diffuser

YouTube - DIY External Flash Diffuser

Another excellent option is to simply use a small white reflector to bounce the flash into the subject -- this, when done properly, can produce very nice quality light in almost any situation. The image below was done this way -- I simply had my assistant hold the reflector to the left of my camera position.

Thanks for bringing this up. I rarely have an assistant so I completely forgot about this way of getting great light from a flash.

If you can do Joe McNally's Da Grip you can even hold a reflector in your left hand.

Joe McNally - Da Grip - YouTube

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow