Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JimCo
Regular MemberPosts: 477Gear list
Like?
Modern lens coatings?
5 months ago

I became a photography addict when I was a teenager during the late 1940s. At that time I bought a wonderful book titled: "Kodak Reference Handbook," that I still have. In its section on lenses, it calls coated lenses "lumenized" lenses, and says that its (Kodak's) lenses that are lumenized bear the letter L engraved on the mount. It says that the coating is magnesium fluoride (MgF2), that gives the lens a slightly bluish tint for reflected light, but that does not affect its color rendition for transmitted light. It also says that it slightly increases the speed of a lens. My first camera was a Kodak 35mm camera with split image rangefinder. Its lens was "lumenized." Question: is MgF2 still used as lens coating these days, or do they use something else. If so, what? (Just an old curious dodo.)

JimCo's gear list:JimCo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow