Regular MemberPosts: 477
Like?
Re: Photographs as tengible objects - lessons learned in Japanese tsunami
In reply to bford, 5 months ago

bford wrote:

TheChefs wrote:

Well, the article says everything:

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/photo_rescue/10.html

Good article but it's odd that they give the impression that storage cards couldn't have their images recovered. Here's the quote.

"After the tsunami, many of the memory cards and computers weren't salvaged, and even if they were, there was no way to retrieve the photographs from the damaged hard disk; they were erased completely."

Storage cards are quite resistant to water damage. Here is information about that from SanDisk.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4687/~/sandisk-cards-environmental-tolerance-(waterproof,-temperature,-magnetic-and

it's to fujifilm's benefit to get more people to print their photos, and that's fine, but they should be more clear about the realities of the durability of most storage cards so that people at least try and recover images from them. I love prints myself and agree with Fujifilm when they say people should print more , but what we really need is even more durable storage cards and devices. That's the key.

They make another odd statement in this quote.

"In the current era, where technology moves at an unfathomable speed, it is important to retrieve photographic images from the rapid flow of digital data."

They are wrong. Advancements from one storage system to another is actually quite slow. All the mediums used for image storage since the meaningful start of digital photography are still in use today or easily readable. The only real weak link in digital image storage is man's laziness to keep track of such images and then to later transfer them to easier to manage and/or more durable mediums, such as going from DVDs to Blu-Ray or from many cards or drives to fewer cards or drives. The idea of thinking that one needs to photograph anything and everything doesn't help either.

DVDs suffer from bit rot, I can't read a DVD I burnt 2 years ago, because it rotted away...

From sandisk, the page states in red that it's in 1m of water. The forces in Tsunami would have exceeded that by quiet large margin, not to mention dirt and mechanical abuse.

Put down your SD card on ground and jump on it few times, see what happens. Do the same with piece of paper.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow