Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Scottelly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,842Gear list
Like?
Re: Q Looses the 3-D of the M?
In reply to DMillier, 2 months ago

DMillier wrote:

Agreed.

I see nothing to obviously worry about from the quattro images I've seen so far. They look like they will stand comparion with any bayer shots. The Merrill is just freaky, it does things to textures that probably aren't correct but look good. I like that.

I guess the biggest argument against the Quattro has to be that if it produces results like high resolution bayer cameras, what is the point, given the know drawbacks of the sensor and the cameras it comes in.

What is the point? How about price?!?

A DP2 Quattro is more than $1,200 less than any competitor in the ultra-high resolution niche. THAT is the point. For your money ($999) you get a slow, basic camera that has an excellent f2.8 lens on it, but the camera is incredibly capable when it comes to capturing amazingly fine detail. This makes it a dream camera for many photographers (especially students and fine-art print photographers). There are many people out there who just like the "normal" focal length lens, and they use that exclusively, whether those photographers are documentary photographers, street photographers, landscape photographers, or whatever. Some like a wide-angle lens. I came across a photographer's Web site years ago. He was shooting exclusively with a Canon 5 D and the Canon 24mm f1.4 L. That was his only lens, and he was a very good portrait photographer. Such a photographer might love the DP1 Quattro.

Anyway, some people would not call the simplicity of the DP series a drawback. Would they say there are drawbacks of the Foveon sensors? Some would, but some, who normally only shoot at ISO 100, even at night, would probably not. There will always be those quick shooters or people who just HAVE to have video capability, who will say there are drawbacks. So be it.

The Merrills at least have something different to attract buyers.

The Quattro has something different t attract buyers. If you don't know what that is . . . you need to take another look at the camera:

It's a bit of a marketing problem that could be solved by Sigma putting the sensor in fully competitive bodies that stand with the best.

-- hide signature --

"...while I am tempted to bludgeon you, I would rather have you come away with an improved understanding of how these sensors work" ---- Eric Fossum
Galleries and website: http://www.whisperingcat.co.uk/
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidmillier/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sigma SD14 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow