Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jalywol
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,414Gear list
Like?
Lens remorse?
5 months ago

Need a little reassurance...I have been using a Minolta 75-300mm on my A7 with the LAEA4 since I got the setup a few weeks ago. I find I have been using that lens far more than the 24-70mm for what I have been shooting this time of year (landscapes, nature, occasional birds). For a cheap long lens, it's not bad, but the purple fringing can be a bit extreme, and it does need to be stopped down quite a bit for optimum sharpness.

Ideally, I would have liked an FE mount 70-300mm, but since none are in the offing at the moment, I decided to see what the used Sony 70-300G prices were on Ebay. I bid on one, in excellent condition, and got it for about $500.

So, my question is....is the 70-300mm substantially better in terms of sharpness without having to stop down to f8 or higher; is the CA/purple fringing noticeably better, and was this a stupid thing to do?

-J

Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow