ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JPAlbert
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Which Tamron lens (for a58) ?
5 months ago

Hello all -

I recently picked up a SONY a58, which came with the 16-55 kit lens. It's "ok", but nothing spectacular.

Tamron recently had a $100 rebate on the AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di USD, so I bought one (very quick payout on the rebate, BTW).

I'm very impressed by the quality of the Tamron lens, and was thinking about picking up one of the following which would become my "regular/main" lens for the camera:

• Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP Aspherical (IF)
    or
  • Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

I believe the 17-50 is purpose-designed for APS-C format cameras (like the a58), so if at some point I was to move to a full-frame SONY, it wouldn't be usable with same.

The 28-75 will work with the SONY a-series, but yield an effective focal length of around 42-113mm. This one -is- usable with full-frame.

In addition, this has a $100 rebate from Tamron 'til the end of July.

I'm tempted to go with the latter, but was wondering if others might care to opine on which could be the better choice...

Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow