I'm glad the forum hasn't split yet - and hope it doesn't. Here's why. Locked

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,088Gear list
I'm glad the forum hasn't split yet - and hope it doesn't. Here's why.
5 months ago

Frame from a great ESPN commercial mocking the rivalry of two American universities

I don't understand the desire of those who wish to split the forum. Yes, like the couple above, we're different. But that's no reason to split up.

I love both my NEX-6 and my A7. Like the two children of the same parents, they share common traits, different strengths. Anyone who's had two children usually discovers they tend to attract different friends, and your world expands as you welcome those different friends under your same roof.

The day I bought my A7, my NEX-6 didn't become a lesser camera. My interest in it didn't switch to distain. Most A7 series users came to them from NEX.

One of the great advantages of the combined E/FE forum is that I get to see the images and opinions of those who shoot with a wide range of cameras - from the earliest APS-C to the latest FF.

I get to see where they've gone, I get to see their families and vacations and home towns and views of the world.

I see birds and bees and butterflies and flowers and trees without regard to whether they were shot FF or APS-C, with the dusty lens from a no-name old SLR or the latest Otus.

Because I shoot with both cameras, I value the discoveries made by those who shoot both formats. I learn about legacy lenses discovered on one format that works for both. I see great images shot with the simplest equipment and the most exotic Sony offers. I've rediscovered that those with vision trump those with just money every time.

The forum, alas, too often mirrors the rest of the world, where those who fly in the first class cabin like that thin curtain separating the compartments, and those walking through to the cheap seats resent the flight attendant serving white wine to the front cabin.

To me, that's just silly. We're all "flying the Sony plane," we're all flying the same route toward better images. And some of us have seats in both compartments. Those that don't antagonize others have friends who shoot in different formats, and discover they have lots in common that make sensor size irrelevant.

What Sony has done - arguably better than any prior camera company - is to create the greatest open-source imaging platform the world has ever seen. By developing a line with the shortest mount-to-sensor distance, they opened to all of us to the whole library of optical history. Whether you're in New York or Lyon or Buenos Aires or Manilla, there are Sony shooters visiting flea markets and estate sales and Craig's List looking for lens bargains.

And after affixing those finds to a Sony body with an inexpensive adapter, they rush out, shoot images - and share them with us here.

Like the farmer in Robert Frost's "Mending Wall," there's comfort for some in walling out those who are different, even if those differences are as irrelevant as those in Frost's poem:

One on a side. It comes to little more:

There where it is we do not need the wall:

He is all pine and I am apple orchard.

My apple trees will never get across

And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.

He only says, 'Good fences make good neighbors'.

Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder

If I could put a notion in his head:

'Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it

Where there are cows?

But here there are no cows.

Before I built a wall I'd ask to know

What I was walling in or walling out,

And to whom I was like to give offence.

Something there is that doesn't love a wall,

That wants it down.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MelNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow