Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TwistaCatz
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?
200mm f/2 VRI, am I crazy?
3 months ago

Am I crazy to consider the 200mm F/2? I’m a casual shooter who would like to shoot more and take photography more serious. Me and my wife recently had our first baby and it’s really surged my interest in gaining the best possible results that my equipment can provide me with my skill set. Over the last 9 months I’ve revamped my whole lineup:

Old Lineup:

Nikon D90

Nikon 18-200mm

Nikon 85MM 1.8 (non D ver)

50mm 1.8D

New Lineup:

Nikon D600

Nikon D7000 (wife’s camera that she never uses)

Nikon 70-200mm VRI

Nikon 24-70mm 2.8

Nikon 85mm 1.8G

Nikon 50mm 1.4D

Nikon 28mm 1.8G

Nikon 105mm (non D ver)

I like what I have now and I’m enjoying the results I’m getting. As you can see I’ve had a huge case of GAS and while I should be good to go I’m getting the itch again. For the record I really can’t afford to buy the 200mm F/2 at close to 4k used. I would really be stretching myself thin. However at the same time given the results that this lens provides (sharpness and incredible bokeh) I feel like it might be worth it. And honestly if it’s not I can always sell it, right?

A lot of people complain about the weight of the 70-200mm 2.8 but it does not really bother me at all. This lens weights twice as much, from the users that have it how much does that detour you from using it?

Also is it silly to have this type of lens on D600 body? Is it silly to buy a pro lens like this as an amateur user? Does the focal length limit the usability in most settings? (I would think not as I can shoot 200mm on my 70-200mm in a lot scenarios)

These are some of the questions that I’m running through my head. One thing I’m sure of is I haven’t seen better results from any lens then what this gem provides and I’m damn close to picking it up. Please talk me off the cliff or push me over the edge.

TwistaCatz's gear list:TwistaCatz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow