ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chrison600
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Help With Lighting/Background of Product Photos
10 months ago

Hi there,

I am a *very* amateur photographer trying to take photos of brake hoses for use in ads and on websites. I have purchased a white MyStudio background with three lights (one suspended, two accessory) as well as a Manfrotto tripod and arm (for taking overhead shots). I'm using a Sony DSC-HX9V.

This is what I need to replicate:

I've become puzzled by two things:

1: The white background works great if I want to keep the background white, but if I slip a darker/gradient background in behind the product in post-production, the white reflecting off of the hose banjo fitting and bolt creates an awkward looking "halo" against the darker background. I need a way to eliminate that halo. I've tried adding a black bottom to the MyStudio environment and I think this might work but the hoses have a lot of black features which makes it difficult to edit the background out in order to add a gradient in. Should I try a light box with a black background? Is there a background I can add to the MyStudio environment to make it possible to eliminate the white "halo" yet also make it reasonably easy to edit the background out?

2: How does the photographer get every hose in exactly the same position every time? The bend is exactly the same. The banjo is in the same orientation. Every time. How is that done?

Help!

Chris

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow