* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #326 14 07 23 *

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,352
Like?
Re: The Driver
In reply to minniev, 2 months ago

minniev wrote:

On the south end of Grand Manan, most mornings look like this, but work goes on. The flat vessels are called drivers and are used to transport a device out to the herring weirs to pound the saplings into the sea floor to hold up the nets. I don't know if there is enough detail to make a decent photo of, but the scene caught my eye because of the little light, I think, that could be seen through the fog. What should be done with it? I never seem to know what to do with fog pictures...

Trust me, we really do not need to see much more here.

All the necessary information is available, with the soft warm glow of that single light bulb giving us a hint that this B&W image is actually not really B&W.  And so the eye goes exploring and finds additional traces of soft and toned-down colour.  I like that.

Fog images are all about mystery and promise (and sometimes danger).  They appeal to our natural sense of suspense.  This one really does, because the figures on the vessel hold a promise of narrative : two people there, but slightly separated.  What is their story?  Where are they coming from? Where are they going?  Great movies have been made with less of a premise.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Lou,New
EXIFNew
PeteNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow