ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,591Gear list
Like?
Useful tip about 55-200mm - it can use 58mm filters
5 months ago

Hi,

There have been a few threads lately where filter size has been discussed and many people would prefer only having to carry one filter size of each type for their lens range.  Fuji's manufacturing decisions have seen lenses coming out with 39, 52, 58 and 62mm and the forthcoming fast lenses are bigger again.  I've already got the 14mm and 18-55mm (which both have 58mm threads) and I've just bought a used 55-200mm lens which arrived this morning.  It has a 62mm filter thread.

I've checked out whether the 55-200mm will take 58mm filters with a 62-58 step down ring. The specification ring around the front element is quite broad and my guess was that a step down ring and smaller filters would be fine. It works perfectly.  I tested it with four stacked filters - a Canon 250D and three Hoya Pro Digital UV filters, almost an inch thick - and it does not vignette at all at any FL, set at f22, and infinity focusing distance.  It appears Fuji chose the 62mm filter size to set up consistency with the 23mm & 56mm lenses, but 58mm filters are fine if you want to be consistent with the 18-55 zoom.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow