ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ubi_amatur_non_laboratur
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
D810 or D4s for birding and travel photography
5 months ago

Hi all,

I went to the local brick and mortar store to get some sample shots from the D810, and the shopkeeper made me a deal on a D4s. The D810 was full sticker price, go figure;-)

I mainly shoot birds (some in flight), and travel shots. I am torn between the two cameras because I figure the better AF and high ISO of the D4s will help get the shot, but the higher pixel count of the D810 gets an edge on the crop factor, as some of the birds are small and/or far away, and DR may be better on low ISO's. I tried the D810, and boy is it quiet compared to the D700. That alone is worth upgrading IMHO.

I have a gripped D700 with 42k clicks, and I love it. But an attack of GAS has hit me. I do not mind the weight of the cameras, and have the Nikkor trilogy as well as the 80-400g.

So what's more useful, high frame rate and killer AF and buffer, or higher mp and DR --- for birding and travel?

Ubi

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36934116@N02/

-- hide signature --

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is
more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius
is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved
and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge
30th president of US (1872 - 1933)
WSSA member #119

ubi_amatur_non_laboratur's gear list:ubi_amatur_non_laboratur's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
Nikon D4s Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow