Confusion about my first DSLR continues...

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Alphoid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,481
Like?
+1 Sony
In reply to fuma4fun, 2 months ago

Of the two, I tend to recommend the Sony. Pros:

• Much better automatic modes.
  • Better to learn on. You can preview exposure in manual modes, and review accurately with EVF
  • Less crippled. Canon and Nikon tend to cripple low-end offerings a lot to avoid cannibalizing high-end sales. Sony does it a fair bit too, but less. A few brands, like Pentax, compete more with Canon and Nikon, so don't do it at all.
  • Image stabilization is in the body. That's nice. You can shoot wide aperture lenses stabilized.

Lens cost and selection is comparable -- Canon has more lenses, but Sony has more useful lenses in their respective lineups. In the end, it's a wash, and it depends on what you're doing. Both are more than adequate for most users.

Upside of the Canon is many prefer an optical viewfinder. I'm not a big fan of optical anymore -- electronic has gotten quite good, and the Canon has a dim and tiny optical viewfinder. I don't like optical until I hit something like a Canon 6D or 5DIII. If I did a lot of sports, I'd definitely prefer optical. I also prefer Canon's colors, personally.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow