blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,480Gear list
Like?
Re: Sel 50mm 1.8 Oss vs Fe 55mm 1.8
In reply to pixee, 5 months ago

pixee wrote:

hi,

Maybe some of you have opinion...

I have planned to buy the 55mm Fe 1.8 lens to A7, but after reading DXOmark tests I am not so sure. Nikon 50mm 1.8 G and 85mm 1.8 G get as good score numbers with d800E, but they are much cheaper. I have them both in my Nikon gear. Sony Sel 50mm 1.8 Oss score number is 23 with Sony Nex7 and with EF 55 1.8 number is 25, only two point better.

I have Sel 50mm 1.8 Oss and it works fine in crop mode and also in ff-mode, but after cropping the vignetting I get a picture corresponding some 60mm angle on view with A7.

The answer is
Do I really get much better output with Zeiss FE 55mm 1.8?

I Found almost same thing when comparing Zeiss 35mm 2.8 Fe and excellent Sigma 30mm 2.8. In crop mode. Not big difference and after DXO they share same score number with Nex7.

Zeiss/Sony FE lenses are very expensive when compared with new Nikon G lenses.

Comparing crop mode is silly - unless you plan to use the pictures in a 'small' viewing mode only (monitor, tv, A4 print size), and do not plan to crop/resize any image.

But your idea about going with legacy lenses is not bad. You can get e.g. the CG45/2.0 for less than half of the FE55Z, and if you go the SLR legacy route, you can take that price down by another 60% or so - while getting almost identical images (especially on small displays such as monitors, tablets, TVs) - at the cost of MF, no EXIF, no lens corrections (or manual).

DxO tests show the camera + lens combination. The same lens will score higher on the A7r (higher resolution). This means that the lens is better than you can realize on the A7.

In terms of Nex-7 vs A7 - for a 50mm lens these are very different FOV. The 50mm on the Nex-7 corresponds to a 75mm view on the A7. Longer FL usually translates to higher numbers in DxO, or other, comparisons tools. A better comparison would be to use the E35 numbers on the Nex-7.

As to the DxOmark in general, compare the A7r vs. the Nex-7 - you'll see a dramatic jump: 42 vs 21:

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow