Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,402Gear list
Like?
Flash newbie
3 months ago

So, I have been shooting for years without a flash. My camera (Sony A7) doens't even have a flash. I just purchased a Yongnuo YN 560 III, which is a manual flash. I typically shoot my camera in manual mode for everything and then Auto ISO. When I add the flash, I don't use Auto ISO and set it low (e.g., ISO 100). The live view on my camera does not recognize the flash, so I am finding it is difficult to focus because my subject is too dark (e.g., in this case my 12 year old son helping me test things out). I had to increase the exposure in post processing +1.6. So I know I am using poor settings. How many stops of light is 1.6 on the Exposure setting in Lightroom? I suspect if I could decrease my shutter speed (it was 1/320 - oops) and then start increasing the ISO to accommodate the number of stops to equal 1.60 in LR that I might then be able to see enough to focus prior to the shot, I hope?

The not so flattering test shot.

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow