Computer for 4K editing?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
gskolenda
Contributing MemberPosts: 879Gear list
Like?
Re: Computer for 4K editing?
In reply to bombayguy, 5 months ago

bombayguy wrote:

Hi guys , jusr saw this thread . I too am looking for some good system to buy . A little search got me to this - two 4k (3840 x 2160 res.) laptops , one from Lenovo & Toshiba each :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1060890-REG/lenovo_59425943_y50_i7_4700_16gb_256ssd_windows8_1_15_6_black.html ; http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1058315-REG/toshiba_pspnvu_00u00w_p55t_b5262_i7_4710hq_12gb_1tb_windows8_1_15_6.html
Lenovo model offers , among other things , 256 GB SSD (I'm not sure if it'll be sufficient or not) & a DVD drive (no blu-ray !) . Toshiba offers 12 GB RAM (!!!) & 1 TB HDD (5400 rpm , will it be ok speed for 4k project rendering ?) . Both offer new high-end 2 GB graphic catds , again not sure which will be better suited to 4k or 3D projects .
Which one to choose ?

OK, Get as much ram as you can afford. Even a lower quality SSD will be way faster than the 1-Terabyte 5400 rpm legacy drive. I would make sure your laptop has at least 1 USB 3.0 port. Get your self a USB 3.0 card reader and if you decide to get an external drive, make sure that it is USB 3.0. All of these features , plus the graphics cards you mentioned should be adequate to transfer and edit 4K video. I would also, not get any AMD processors, you want fast Intel i5 minimum, i7 is even better, it makes a difference. Also find out if you can add memory to your laptop of choice, get rid of Win8, have someone who knows how to uninstall Win8 and install Win7 64 Pro! They will also get rid of all the MFG's. crapplet's on the drive. I did all of this to my wife's Toshiba, and she was blown away on the difference of speed and operation. I don't care what anyone says, Win7 64 Pro is rock solid, and supports just about every software program in the market!

Good luck with your purchase, If it was me, I would get the GH4, and the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 Lens, it is a Superb lens and Camera. Don't complain about the price just finance it, it's worth it!

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow