ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ian Copestake
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Hahnemule fine art pearl blotchy prints on Pro 100
5 months ago

Hi there,

In my search for a favourite semi matte paper i tried a sample of hahnemule fine art pearl but although the print at a distance looked lovely, when held to the light i'm seeing smudges and some fine scratches all over the image see below...

I have set the drying time to maximum so I get a slower print time but i haven't tried checking ‘prevent paper abrasion’ in the driver. The paper was from a sample pack so I'm now out of paper so cant test until I get some more.
Has anyone else seen anything like this? It also happened with photo rag pearl & fine art baryta but it doesn't happen with Ilford smooth pearl. I have also used thicker papers such as Hahn photo rag & museum etching but neither of these papers exhibited blotches, marks or head strikes.
I can’t work out if it’s the paper hitting something as it’s fed (I used the manual feed) because the platen gap isn’t wide enough, perhaps rollers?? Or maybe the paper ink combo just doesn’t work, surprising that it is one of the included profiles from Canon.
Or maybe even the sample sheets aren't pristine quality???

Heres another example..

I printed with the canon plugin used the correct media setting & the correct canon profile for this paper. The media setting forced me to have the fine art borders which I’m beginning to like especially on the heavier rag papers!
If anyone has any experience with this paper and the pro100 or a suggestion as to what the blotches might be that would be great as I really like the look & feel of the paper, much more classy than RC coated papers like the Ilford prestige smooth pearl, which is a nice paper but looks a bit "ordinary" in comparison.

Thanks in advance

Ian

Ian Copestake's gear list:Ian Copestake's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon Pixma Pro-100 +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow