Anyone with 8GB RAM/256 GB SSD Macbook Pro Retina for 36 MP editing?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
whoosh1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016
Like?
Anyone with 8GB RAM/256 GB SSD Macbook Pro Retina for 36 MP editing?
2 months ago

Was curious about this. My workflow is Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4 (part of the edits done in LR - other parts done in CS6 & then finished in LR). Have (shared with wife/kids) higher end 27 inch Windows all-in-one as well as a late 2012 15 inch Macbook Pro Retina (base config - 8 GB RAM + 256 GB SSD + 2.3 GHz i7) that I use for office work. Have been editing on that - but there are times when its not convenient (due to everyone wanting the 27 inch all-in-one same time). So was thinking of getting a separate 27 inch monitor (NEC PA272W-BK/Dell U2713HM/similar) and using the Macbook for editing my Nikon D800e files. For storage - I will be using an external hard drive.

Most advice from people on dpreview forums that I searched seems to be - just get a 16GB RAM/512GB SSD/2.7 GHz i7 as the Retina does not have user upgradeable parts. So my question (before I splurge on a decent monitor + Photoshop CS6 for MAC or the $10/month LR/CC package) - is there anyone who is using the base config 15 inch Retina for editing Nikon D800E/D800 files? If yes - what's the experience been like with "just 8 GB RAM" and Photoshop/LR simultaneously open? Or I have to put up or splurge even more for an iMac (27 inch).

BTW for photo editing - the smaller 15 inch laptop screen does not quite work for me & would want to go with a 27 inch monitor.

Thanks in advance for your responses on your experiences.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow