ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Digitalcaveman
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?
Buyers Remorse? Need Help. Return 2nd RX1 for RX100m3? Short Return Window
2 months ago

Hello All,

I think I'm having some buyers remorse mixed in with a great deal of "This camera will not keep it's quality and I feel I will be out 3K when I could have bought something similar and traded up later" feeling that we all typically have when we maybe spend too much on something we want.  This will be the 2nd time I will be looking to return such a masterpiece camera...

I have a nice quality big rig D800E with some very nice glass.  However, I wanted a fantastic quality small camera to carry around with me and thought the RX1 was the right camera.  However, in taking it out I feel so restricted by the 35mm lens... no ability to zoom and the bulk adder of the EVF that I also purchased along with an accessory package from Fotodiox (very nice by the way).  I've had people tell me why do you have to get so close for a picture with that thing... maybe I'm not shooting with a 35mm the correct way but the closer I got the better the shot the RX1r produced.

After a great deal of research and looking at the RX100m3 I really saw a camera that I could take anywhere, send photos to my iPhone (if needed), has better video capability, has zoom... takes the same batteries (which I bought a ton of...1800mah BX1's are awesome) and memory cards as the RX1 so all I have to really do is sell the EVF (still have box and leather case and eye cups).  A savings of over 2K after the return.

As far as the image quality goes... I think they are sooo close... the differences between the quality so far that I have seen could be stated as comparable.

If you have first hand knowledge and can totally share with me a game changing difference in image quality between these two camera's please feel free and help me.  I need to be reassured that what I purchased is an insane masterpiece and will last the ages...like 10+ years and people would still want the RX1r... if you can convince me of that... I will keep it.  I just don't want to see 3 years later and they have something so amazing out that I look at this $3K paperweight... I doubt it would be that different but I'm just explaining how it would probably make anyone feel.  If I return it now I won't have to go through that... we all know what that feels like..owning something obsolete.

Anyway, if you had the chance to use both cameras and you can honestly tell me that there is a tremendous difference in quality between them...I'm all ears and need to hear what that is...

Thanks so much for your input,

Tom

Digitalcaveman's gear list:Digitalcaveman's gear list
Sony RX1R Nikon D200 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
RX100 III Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow