DXO Optics Pro and E-M1

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
David28
Senior MemberPosts: 2,818
Like?
Re: Question for Muzfox
In reply to Muzfox, 4 months ago

A true gentleman you are ... and a rare commodity, especially in cyberspace. Many thanks. I shall await your followup post.

Again, thank you.

David

Muzfox wrote:

David28 wrote:

Breakfast on Sunday

Firstly, thank you to everyone for their input in the thread. I too am considering the Elite version to see what I can add to my LR5 workflow especially with deformation, distortion from UWA lenses and also with noise management from the EM1 .... I have never been happy with the ORF files I get from the Oly when it comes to noise, even at ISO 400 I sort of expect better (and I get them from other systems).

But the EM1 is sweet as for travel and general lugging about so a solution would be wonderful. I have a trial version of the Elite version presently and still trying to find my way.

Anyway, my questions relates to your image of the beach scene :

At first glance the image looks a tad soft on account of perhaps the denoising process. What was the ISO you used? And finally, the person in the hat looks a little "squashed" ..... have you tried to do anything with the program to remedy that?

I am very interested to hear your specific thoughts re my queries.

And as for the workflow, your process is pretty much what I had in mind. Shame about having to import the RAW as ORF. I have been doing DNGs for forever.

David

Hi David, thanks for your questions. ISO was base 200, however I had the fstop pretty wide open at around 2.2 I think, Focus landed on the tree so a lot of other items in the shot were not pinpoint. I don't think it was the denoising for the softness, just focus. DxO does some pretty full on lens corrections. This is the Panasonic 20mm lens in use. However having said that, the person in the hat was a bit "squat" so I actually think that is a fair representation of the person. If I have a chance tonight, I'll spit the image straight out of lightroom for you so you can get an idea of what has been done here. I'll also find a similar image and give you a before, DXO after, and LR after where noise reduction makes a difference.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow