Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Northoceanbeach
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?
How do I use an ultra wide? 10-18
3 months ago

So, I thought i would try to get better today.  I've got that 10-18 lens and I'm not really liking the photos I've gotten so far.  But so far I haven't used it much.

Id like to use in in the cities indoors, but right now I'm not near any cities so I'm going to be using it for landscape photography.

I'm missing something.  It seems like a very sharp lens, but I need to know how to compose the shots with it.  Honestly at first I thought it would be great to just hike up to the top of a hill and shoot the scene and it would work.  But that doesn't work at all.  It doesn't give a mini panorama, it just gives a bland view of everything.

I went up a local hill the other day and got the first one I think is OK.  It's probably because I had a harbor to shoot.  However I did get there too late, so I missed the good light.  I'm going to try again tonight.

I just read Ken Rockwell's guide to ultra wides, but honestly didn't like his sample images at all.  They were super distorted.  I don't mind the distortion if used right, but those were not to my liking.

So how should I use this lens for landscape and outdoor photography?

Northoceanbeach's gear list:Northoceanbeach's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon 1 J1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
IasiNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow