What will happen to lower-end DSLRs?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
DaytonR
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?
Re: What will happen to lower-end DSLRs?
In reply to Abu Mahendra, 2 months ago

Abu Mahendra wrote:

Peter63 wrote:

Abu Mahendra wrote:

Why are mirrorless cameras the way of the future?

Because they are mechanically simpler, and thererefore all other factors constant, including IQ and focus accuracy and speed, they will be smaller, lighter, easier to manufacture and therefore cheaper. That's why.

-- hide signature --

>>That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence<<

Families want a camera that can keep up with their kids. When you have a T3 that sells for $300 and has fast focus ability, I don't see how a mirrorless can equal it and be cheaper. To do this with a mirrorless, you need a more sophisticated sensor and a high quality EVF. I think mirrorless will fill the role of those willing to pay more for good performance combined with small size. Even here, Canon has already shown with the SL1 that they won't let that market go easily.

The mirror box is established tech that is simple and cheap to manufacture. I can see mirrorless gaining an advantage on size, focus accuracy, and EVF info presentation but it will need to match DSLR focus speed at the same time. I don't see it having a price advantage (for a given performance level) for a long time to come.

Take a look at Lensrentals' disassembly of the the Sony A7. All electronic, no mechanical parts, all modular. Fewer pieces, screws, joints, etc. Mirror-less may not match DSLRs in performance now, but technology keeps improving everyday. The writing is on the wall, for the reasons I already outlined above. Plus I forgot one more, increased durability that comes with no mechanical parts.

-- hide signature --

>>That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence<<

i dont think the writing is on the wall for DSLR`s , what has happened now is that the mirrorless market has stopped growing for the first time since mirrorless cameras arrived around 5 years ago ....whats happening now is that an equilibrium has been reached were mirrorless cameras have their proponents and nice market share alongisde other camera systems and this how things will be in the future , both types of cameras will thrive alongside each other ....... , mechanical parts on SLR`s are quite reliable and the majority work perfectly for years as can be evidenced by stories of photographers here still using SLR`s from a few years back. I can see why some people have great enthusiasm for mirrorless cameras but they are not for every one and many will prefer SLR`s for quite a while ,....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow